Tuesday, September 30, 2014
He's in there.
Posted by: Marie at 9:19 PM |
Sunday, September 28, 2014
Elvis, accept it.
* The first thing I do on Sunday mornings is check into Twitter to see what Peter has tweeted overnight. It's heart-pounding, edge of your seat stuff. It's also not stuff for the faint of heart -- for the recipient or the deliverer: Chasing Mayhem With Peter Nickeas, the Chicago Tribune’s Overnight Crime Reporter.
All young artists coming to the city face a pragmatic choice: how to earn a living and still have time to pursue your art. Back then it usually boiled down to waiting on tables or driving a cab. I had made that decision on my earlier attempt to work in the theatre. I chose the cab because, first, I love driving and hate standing up for long-periods of time and secondly, your hours were your own. Once you had the car, you could drive to a rehearsal, rehearse and then go back to work.
* It was going on 2:00 in the morning. Lost in my thoughts in the back of a cab and no longer annoyed about the expanding hole in the shin of my pantyhose, I just wanted to get home so I could fall into bed. Maybe it was the hour, or maybe it was the cutting Chicago cold that goes through every layer to rattle your bones, but the street was dead. The town was dead.
The snow began to fall. I put my hand on the cabbie's shoulder and said, look at this. He pulled over to the curb and stopped. And we both rolled down our windows and hung our heads out into the quiet night to take in the beauty of light wisps of white snow blowing in artistic circles just half a milimeter above the black pavement.
* The leaves are brown and the sky is a hazy shade of winter....
Posted by: Marie at 9:51 PM |
Saturday, September 27, 2014
Whisper secrets to the wind
Caged with a bunch of others of its ilk.
1955 Olds Super 88 Coupe, with Washington State plates, sort of in the wild, but not really, because the Route 66 Festival is in town, even though this was no where near the goings on at the time. Also, I only needed to do a quick Google search to verify the make and model, since I do know my Oldsmobiles. It's one of my more advanced skills.
* You know how sometimes you go out to dinner on a Friday night and the hostess says the wait will be 20 minutes, or an hour, or longer, and you have to decide do you really want to wait that long or just go someplace else? Well, if you want to eat at Hot Doug's in Chicago this week, the wait is ten hours and the line is down the block(s). And you will wait because the place is the stuff of legends and sadly, Friday is their last day in business.
* Tweet of the week: "If we may ask a favor, please don't go trying to sell spots in line and please don't look to buy them, my friends. It makes things weird." -- Hot Doug's.
* No Jaws: The 10 best quotable films.
* Your baby doesn't want you anymore. It's over.........
Posted by: Marie at 9:23 PM |
Friday, September 26, 2014
* This is embarrassing and disgraceful and painful and disgusting: Ex-Sen. Roland Burris accused of shake down in court documents:
Former U.S. Sen. Roland Burris tried to "shake down" a business for a $250,000 a year job as a financial consultant in return for Burris' help promoting the business's products to the U.S. military, court documents in a trial due to to start next week allege.
The explosive allegations emerged Friday at a hearing ahead of the trial of South Sider C. Gregory Turner, who is accused of illegally trying to help lift U.S. sanctions against Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's regime.
Burris was the junior United States Senator from Illinois when this allegedly took place.
* Previously on this blog:
- December 30, 2008: We have an appointee
- January 3, 2009: An idea for Roland Burris
- February 15, 2009: Bungling Burris? (About Burris's testimony at the impeachment trial of Rod Blagojevich.)
- Bungling Burris? [Part 2]
- Bungling Burris? [Part 3]
- Bungling Burris? [Part 4]
- February 17, 2009: Where I start to lose confidence in Burris
* And everybody hurts sometimes..............
Posted by: Marie at 10:08 PM |
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Whisper secrets to the wind
* If, like the rest of us, you've been sitting around wondering whatever happened to Fact Magazine, this headline probably had something to do with it: 1,189 Psychiatrists Say Goldwater is Psychologically Unfit to be President!
* Beautiful: Crescent moon over the Crescent City.
* Your baby doesn't want you anymore. It's over....
Posted by: Marie at 10:04 PM |