Sunday, October 19, 2014
I can't sleep at night
* Gas price tonight at 11th & Stevenson.
* PBS Newshour: What’s behind the sudden drop in US gas prices?
* Me: Why is no one talking about the effect ISIS is having on gas prices, if any? I mean, everyday we hear in the news how ISIS has taken over oil wells in Iraq. Or is it refineries? Or both. And how they're selling oil on the black market. If that black market oil is not making it to the western world, and it's not a factor, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, the experts should say so. Or something. All I'm saying is I'm not hearing anything about this.
The top three bands of the British Invasion are: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and tied for third, The Who and The Kinks? In articles like these where you are supposed to project a voice of authority, you’re not supposed to speak in subjective, first person terms. However I find this an impossible strategy. Although history has seemed to devalue the legacy of The Kinks, I can’t go along with it. Depending on the day, The Kinks are far more influential to me than The Who, which may be an act of rock sacrilege. On better days, The Kinks beat the Stones too.
Posted by: Marie at 9:32 PM |
Saturday, October 18, 2014
The telephone is ringing
Posted by: Marie at 10:18 PM |
Friday, October 17, 2014
She don't even know herself
Wood duck houses (I think) in a swamp.
You know how you start to put a word or two in Google's search box, and it drops down with a list of choices? And you can continue typing, or pick one of the choices? Today I typed "discovered a dent" into the box, and was surprised to see (1) there was only one choice, and (2) the choice was "in my skull."
I would have thought there would have been several choices, the first of which would have been "in my car," and the next, "in my baking pans." These are things I've discovered dents in over the years, anyway. (I just made up "in my baking pans" to fill space in this paragraph, but when you think about it...)
There were about 32,000 web site choices, most of which are medical forums. After perusing just a couple, I deduced that there are a shit ton of people who hang out on medical forums asking questions and giving each other questionable medical advice. I also learned that I am not alone in discovering a dent in my skull.
* This chick looks like she's having the time of her life. The cop looks like he'd like to be having the time of his life, but his boss is right there: Women in Chicago being arrested for wearing one piece bathing suits, without covering their legs, 1922.
Posted by: Marie at 9:41 PM |
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
The wind has changed directions
* Chicago: The tale of the two-flat.
* And I'll have to leave.... (Elton.)
Posted by: Marie at 10:35 PM |
Monday, October 13, 2014
We'll be watching out for trouble
You thought it would be cold, but you walk out the door and that warm, moist air straight up out of the Gulf of Mexico hits you in the face. Weather that feels normal in August feels unnatural this time of the year. More pronounced. So, you put your head down and hold your breath until you get where you're going. Why you hold your breath, nobody knows. Not even you. But, it's what you do.
* Cold, snowy: Midwest & Great Lakes 2014-2015 Winter Forecast.
* Obituary: Ben Isaacs dies at 107; oldest Pullman porter.
Posted by: Marie at 10:06 PM |